Friday, July 10, 2009

Owen's Birth Story

I want to start by apologizing if this is graphic or too much information - I just don't want to forget the details, so I'm putting down as much as I remember.

Monday July 6, sometime between 10 and 10:30 pm (I didn't look at the clock, but Adam and I had already finished watching the Bachelorette - yes time is remembered by TV programs at our house- so it had to be after 10), I had my first contraction. I really didn't pay too much attention because I had been having quite a few contractions the past few weeks that amounted to nothing. I tried to go to sleep because I figured if it did turn into the "real deal" I'd want to be rested, but of course the mere idea that I could be in labor kept me from sleeping. Around 11:30 I went downstairs to watch TV so that Adam could get more sleep. I watched a couple of shows, having VERY irregular contractions, very similar to what my 12 hour labor with Jack was like. I figured this kid would be born late morning/early afternoon. About 1 am I headed back upstairs to take a bath so that I'd be ready whenever things got serious. Also I was having some mild back discomfort (really nothing bad, just a very mild backache) and figured the tub would help relax that. I kept having contractions, but nothing painful - I didn't even need to breathe through them - so I stayed in the tub until about 1:45. I got out and got dressed and laid down in bed. A few minutes later (probably about 2 am) I had my first semi-painful contraction. I woke up Adam and asked him to get me some water from downstairs and to bring up the laptop so we could start timing the contractions (there's a website contractionmaster.com that makes it REALLY easy!). When Adam came up I was feeling nauseous and got sick to my stomach (once again something that happened during my EARLY labor with Jack before we left for the hospital - and I was only 4 cms when I got to the hospital after almost 9 hours of labor with Jack). I had a couple of bad contractions that were pretty close together (less than 3 mins apart). I remember telling Adam I didn't know what to do, because all of a sudden the contractions were painful and close, but I didn't want to go to the hospital and have them tell me it was too early and I needed to go home. I had one more contraction that was REALLY bad and Adam and I decided it was time to leave for the hospital. Our WONDERFUL neighbors - the Fagans - had told us that when the time came just to give them a call and Trevor would come over and sleep on our couch so that we didn't have to wake Jack up. We called Trevor at 2:22 am. Adam went downstairs to put my bag in the car and back the car out of the garage. I felt like I needed to go to the bathroom before we left - so I headed in there to take care of that. Adam left the car running and came upstairs to get me. By the time he got to me in the bathroom I looked up at him and said, "Adam, I see the head." I don't think he believed me at first, but sure enough - the baby was coming out. I told Adam to call 911. The 911 operator told Adam to have me get off the toilet (yeah, I was frozen there not knowing what to do!), and have me lie down. As I started to stand up, my water broke. I took one step into the doorway between the toilet/shower portion of our bathroom and the vanity portion of the bathroom when the rest of the baby's head came out. I remember Adam telling the 911 operator that the head was out, and then seconds later that the body was out. Adam says that when he caught Owen, he opened his eyes and looked right at him and started crying. He let out a loud good cry...best sound on earth! Trevor meanwhile, had come over right after Adam came back upstairs to get me and was waiting downstairs. When we didn't come down (remember the car was still running), Trevor came up to see if we needed help. He walked in JUST after Owen was born and Adam was handing him to me. Trev got a little more than he bargained for that night...poor guy! I think the first thing I said to Trevor was, "Well Trev, you and I are best friends now!" Adam handed the phone with the 911 operator over to Trevor who then instructed us to tie a shoelace 6 inches from Owen's belly button on the umbilical cord and to wrap him up in a towel. Adam and I each called our parents to let them know what had happened. My conversation with my mom went something like this: "Mom - I just had my baby on my bathroom floor." "Are you serious?" My poor mother...probably not a call you're expecting at 2:30 am! When I was on the phone with my mom the firemen showed up. They were awesome! They clamped and cut the cord and took Owen over to our bed to check him out. He was perfect. He scored a 10 (perfect score) on both of his Apgar tests (one they did right when they got there and the other 5 minutes or so later). Meanwhile, the firemen were checking me out, putting in an IV and all that fun stuff. I looked up and saw Tiffany peeking her head around the doorway. I really don't remember much of this, but according to Tiff the first words out of my mouth were, "I'm so embarrassed." (Which I pretty much was...I mean WHO has a baby on their bathroom floor!?!?!) The firemen loaded me up on a wheelchair thing to take me downstairs. As they were wheeling me out of my room I realized I hadn't seen Jack. I asked if he was ok and was told that he was still asleep. Apparently the kid can sleep through ANYTHING! Our room is right across from his and we had about 6 firemen in there with the door wide open! When they got me downstairs, Tiffany was down at the bottom and told me that she had just seen Owen and that he was beautiful. I'm so glad she told me that because I hadn't seen him since they took him from me and didn't know if he was ok (the firemen were telling me that he was doing great, but it was hard to believe them when I couldn't see him with my own eyes). They loaded me into an ambulance (Owen was already loaded into his own ambulance with Adam), for the LONGEST ride of my life. When we finally got to the hospital they asked me if I wanted to hold Owen on the ride up from the ER to the labor and delivery floor. Ummm...do you even have to ask a mother if she wants to hold her baby!?!?! They handed him to me (he was wrapped up in a little space blanket) and I remember feeling so relieved that he was ok. He looked just perfect and was crying - one of the happiest moments of my life. That's pretty much it. They took us to the labor and delivery floor checked both of us out and gave us a clean bill of health. My doctor kept asking me what happened and why I waited so long to come to the hospital (I don't think anyone believes me that it really was only 20 minutes of contractions that were regular and only 3 or 4 contractions that were super painful). Totally crazy story...and a night we'll never forget!

We would like to publicly thank Tiffany and Trevor. You guys were seriously SO awesome and helped us out so much. Thank you for helping us stay calm. Thank you for taking pictures so that we can remember everything. Thank you for staying after we left and cleaning up the mess we left behind (I'm still embarrassed that you did that!). Thank you for taking care of Jack that night and in the morning. I'm sure I'm leaving a million things out...thank you! We couldn't ask for better best friends - we love you guys!

Adam and I feel SO blessed that everything turned out the way it did. Later that day we were reflecting on how perfect everything had gone (when it could have been a total disaster). We truly believe that the Lord blessed us that night and that we were guided by the Holy Ghost.

Thank you to all of our family and friends for your outpouring of love and support - we love you all!
A few pictures from the night...
Owen's first photo
Waiting for the fire department to arrive
A few of Henderson's finest taking care of our baby
Of course we must take a moment to Facebook the event!
Getting cleaned up at the hospital. It had been a rough morning for the little guy!
Finally reunited with my baby!
Beautiful baby boy...

27 comments:

Tiffany said...

A story that will be forever told! Awesome. We love you too! He is an angel.

CB said...

That is a great story....and awesome to have so many pics to document it. Congrats you guys.

Amanda said...

I seriously don't get tired of hearing that story! I get goosebumps every time!
Congrats! He is so precious!

Sheri said...

I loved reading it. What an amazing story. I love that second to last picture of you and Owen. It is special and precious. Makes me tear up. Congratulations!

The Andelins said...

I am so JEALOUS!!! I had 19 hours of labor with Cam, and your baby practically FALLS OUT!?!?! *sigh* I am totally telling my midwife this story and explain to her why I showed up dilated "only" to a 2. HA!! We love you guys and can't wait to (someday) meet this handsome guy!! XOXO

Lindzie said...

I'm so glad that mom and baby were ok! Lindsay you shouldn't be embarrassed...at least you made it without needing drugs! :)

FitNotQuitJess said...

Well all I have to say is THANKS ZOCKOLL'S! Now how is ANYONE EVER going to top this one? J/K What a blessing and wonderful story you have for this little guy. CONGRATS!!

Kelli said...

that story is the topper of all birth stories! you are amazing lindsey. i have been telling everyone your story: "guess what? my friend gave birth in her bathroom the other night!"

i am sooooo happy all went well. he is beautiful!

Megan Hedrick said...

that is such a sweet story! It made me tear up a little.. I'm glad everything went so good. He's so sweet! Congratulations!

M and M Madsen said...

I am a friend of the Fagans and I just wanted to tell you guys that you are AMAZING! What an awesome story and experience.... way to go! He is beautiful.

birmingham family said...

I love your story! What an exciting way to make an entrance into this world! He is absolutely beautiful- congrats!!!!

Shelly Benson said...

Owen is such a showboat! :)

Know what's funny - I was in no way involved with any of this but that day Tiffany was going crazy on facebook, so I knew you had given birth at home, and I couldn't sleep that night because I couldn't stop thinking about what happened. I'm weird.

Lilian said...

I've been waiting to hear it, thank you for taking the time to tell it. I'm so grateful Heavenly Father was watching over your little family. Congratulations! He is adorable and just beautiful. So in the end he was just trying to give you a break for being late :)

heather said...

Wow! I can't believe it! I'm so glad that everything went well and that you both are doing well. Congrats! What a great story to tell him when he gets older!

Ma and Pa Leavitt said...

Congratulations Lindsey and Adam. What an exciting story to tell. We are so happy for you guys and the safe arrival of your new baby boy. Tiffany and Trevor are so blessed to have you guys for neighbors and for great friends.

Our love and best wishes. We can't wait to see Owen.

Leslie and Earl Leavitt

Sarah Goodsell said...

Congrats!!! He's beautiful!!! I can't believe how that happened but I'm glad everything turned out ok! Also, I LOVE the name:)

Lindsey said...

Congratulations! Alisa linked to your blog, and I am glad she did. I loved that story, how exciting. I am going to have to check out your exciting blog more often!

Allison said...

Love it!
A great story to hear over and over!
I love that last picture - he is so precious :)

the child family said...

Lindsay,
I heard the story at church today and had to run home and read it for myself! AMAZING! Were you as calm as you sound in writing? Congrats to your family - so you and Owen are well!

dietcokegrrl said...

Awesome story! And have to admit a little jealous about how easy/fast the birth was. You Benesh gals are too lucky! Glad you are both fine and doing well! He is adorable!

And yes, your friends are totally awesome!

JoAnn said...

Okay Lindsay, I know you are an outstanding Achievement Day leader in our Primary, but I think you just took "ACHIEVEMENT" to a whole new level!
Congratulations! I am so glad everything turned out well. Owen is a doll....in a "boyish/manly" way of course.

Humes Family said...

Awesome!! I too love reading the story! And your pictures are so touching!!

We are the Matthews! said...

That seriously choked me up. What a beautiful birth story. You and your sweet family are blessed and Im so happy for you all. I cant wait to meet him. He is just beautiful.

Anya said...

my mom works at labor/delivery at siena and she heard all about your birth story!! she said to me..."what zockell's live by you? they had a baby at home" and it was you! glad you are safe-
such a small world.

April Hansen said...

I am so excited for you guys! Congratulations!! When I read your story I got goose bumps! I don't know how you guys did it, I would have gone absolutely crazy having a baby at home. Owen is adorable. He is lucky to have such great parents. I can't wait to see him when we get back. We love you guys.

dotslady said...

Okay, I cried. I'm a sucker for "Facebook" stories - lol. JK, but the Facebook part seriously cracks me up being an old fogie and all.

Enjoy this time and new baby; and listen to something fun just for you: http://bit.ly/HaUxz

The Facks of Life said...

Wow! You are awesome. Next time I say a midwife is the way to go...:) congrats to you all. He's so cute!