Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Tuesday's Tasty Treat: Apple Crisp

I haven't done a Tasty Treat in awhile, but I've made this recipe a couple of times in the last two weeks and it's SO yummy I wanted to share! I got this recipe from a cookbook called Remedies for the "I Don't Cook" Syndrome. The family I nannied for introduced me to this cookbook, which I love because everything I have tried is yummy and it's all pretty simple.

8 large apples, peeled and sliced
1 to 2 tablespoons lemon juice (I use 2)
2/3 cup sugar
2 teaspoons cinnamon
1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg (I use 1/2)

Heat oven to 350 degrees. Place apples in a buttered 9x13 inch pan. Sprinkle with lemon juice. In a small bowl mix sugar, cinnamon and nutmeg. Sprinkle mixture over apples. (I usually dump all the ingredients in a bowl and mix it before putting it in the pan. I want to make sure my apples are well coated!)

Topping:
1 1/2 cups flour
1/2 cup oatmeal
1 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup butter or margarine, softened (I've found that you need more like 3/4 cup)

Combine flour, oatmeal, brown sugar and butter. Mix with a fork, cutting the butter into the dry ingredients. Spread over apples. Bake 1 hour.

P.S. It is necessary to serve this warm with vanilla ice cream. Necessary.
P.P.S. No that is not a picture of my apple crisp. I never remember to take a picture before it has been half devoured. Thank you google images for the pretty not half eaten picture.

4 comments:

The Andelins said...

I am thinking you might need to make this for our valentines day treat!! What do you say??

Allison said...

I have to agree - the ice cream is necessary! It was delicious!

Tiffany said...

AHHHH!!!!!!! I was just going to ask you for this recipe and HERE IT IS! You are truly amazing.

And people, this may be the most delicious thing you will ever experience. I made myself sick last night eating so much. CAN'T STOP EATING! SO GOOD!

"heaven in a bowl"

Amanda said...

I have that cookbook!! I must go buy some vanilla ice cream so we can have ourselves a little tasty treat!